Disinfection of Surgical Instruments
Surgical instruments that cannot be disposed of such as extracting forceps, probes, osteotomes, retractors and so on, can be rinsed with ozone infused water to eliminate pathogen contamination. Surgical tables and chairs can be wiped down with ozone to eliminate bacteria, fungus and mold
The importance of hand washing in a dental office cannot be overstated. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center of Disease Control (CDC) stress the importance of proper hand washing.
- 10 Second hand wash will reduce Clostridium Difficile by 99.9040 %
- 10 Second hand wash will reduce Eschherichia Coli by 99.9995%
- 10 Second hand wash will reduce Salmonella Thyphimurium by 99.982%
- 10 Second hand wash will reduce Staphylococcus Aureus by 99.985 %
- Dentistry primarily deals with treating the effects of bacterial infection.Water is presently used to remove particles and blood during and after a procedure. The ability to eradicate infection with an anti-bacterial mouth rinse is a powerful advantage.
- Ozone disinfects by directly oxidizing and destroying the cell wall of a pathogen.Ozone is by far the most powerful and safest disinfectant.
- The Lethality Coefficient of Ozone compared to Chlorine in 500:20 for Enteric Bacteria.This means that Ozone is 25 times more powerful and acts 3,000 faster than chlorine. Ozone mouth rinsing should be used during and after procedures.
Additional Dental Application
Biofilm Purging - Elimination of Bacterial Pathogens
- Biofilms of resistant species, such as Enterococcus faecalis pose a major challenge in the treatment of root canals.
- Ozone is a strong oxidizing agent that causes lipid peroxidation and alters membrane permeability and function.
Peridontal Pocket Disinfection and Osseous Disinfection
- The practical affordability of this reasonably priced product (Under $200) provides dentists with the opportunity to offer these units to their patients.
- DENTAL CLEANLINESS – Mouth rinsing with Ozone Infused water eliminates bacteria in hard-to-reach places that brushing and flossing cannot reach.
Disinfection Following Tooth Extraction
- Dentists have the choice to disinfect the socket (dental alveolus) by rinsing withOzone Infused water or to inject ozone into the socket using a Waterpik or Jetpik.
- Tooth structure loss occurring due to multiple factors like attrition, abrasion, erosion, trauma from occlusion may cause wearing away of enamel and entin resulting in hypersensitivity.
- Ozone application has been found to effectively reduce sensitivity of not only exposed enamel and dentin but also in cases of root sensitivity.
- It has been reported that ozone treatment exhibited a 99.9% killing efficiency against cariogenic bacteria such as Actinomyces naeslundii, Streptococcus mutans andLactobacillus casei.
- Ozone application has various beneficial effects on the oral tissues including remission of various mucosal alterations, enhanced wound healing and increased turnover rate of oral cells
Management of Pit and Fissure Caries
- Ozone has been found to be highly effective to stop bacterial growth in deep pits and fissures. After Ozone treatment, application of remineralizing agents and sealing of the clean fissures is encouraged.
Prophylactic Ozone for Restorative Treatment
- Corroborated evidence from in vitro studies indicates that ozone can be effectively used as a prophylactic antimicrobial agent prior to etching and placement restorations.
Management of Root Caries
- Marked reversal and arrest as part of shallow non-cavitated root caries lesions have been reported following the use of ozone as part of a full preventative care regimen.
- Ozone has immense potential to be used as an antimicrobial in endodontics. Ozone is effective when it is prescribed in adequate concentrations, time and delivered correctly into root canals after the traditional cleaning, shaping and irrigation has been completed.